Mornington Peninsula Gatherings
MPG Mystery Picnics
Locally curated, self-drive Mystery Picnics on the Mornington Peninsula.
Gift Experience Vouchers for yourself, your client or someone you love.
Mornington Peninsula Gatherings curate Gift Experiences that give you an authentic taste of our region
from a local’s perspective.
MPG Mystery Picnics evolved from our love of gathering together with family and friends to share
good food, good wine and good times on the Mornington Peninsula.
The Mornington Peninsula is a genuine paradise just a stones throw from Melbourne’s CBD.
It covers a total area of approximately 723 square km’s inclusive of 90km of coastline. There are spectacular coastal drives, wide sandy beaches showcasing colourful beach boxes and a stunning hinterland complete with walking trails and a significant number of farm gate artisan producers.
We grew up on the Peninsula and are passionate about our region, our people and our environment and want to share some of our local knowledge with you in the hope that you too can enjoy some of what
the Mornington Peninsula has to offer.
We have curated a range of self-drive Mystery Picnics on the Mornington Peninsula for you to choose from
(with or without an alcohol tasting).
We look forward to sharing some of our favourite cafes, artisan producers & picnic spots with you.
Purchase a Voucher
& Book in a Date
& Collect Picnic Items
& Enjoy Your Picnic!
- An eGift Voucher for use by yourself, a friend, a family member, a colleague or a client.
- The voucher entitles the holder to participate in a curated, self-drive MPG Mystery Picnic on the Mornington Peninsula.
- A Starting Location provided the day before your adventure.
- A series of Clues that lead you to 4-5 stops (5-6 for a Picnic with tasting) where you will collect picnic supplies (and have a tasting if a ‘Picnic with tasting’ has been selected) before arriving at your final picnic destination.
- Gourmet Food & Drink.
- Local Knowledge & Ideas for side trips (time permitting).
- Please note that Picnic photos shown on eGift Vouchers, the website and social media posts are general in nature so as not to spoil the surprise and do not necessarily represent the exact foods, drinks or locations that you will receive/visit.
What you'll need
What you might like to take
- A Sense of Adventure (so that you can make the most of this experience).
- A Car (or alternative transport as this is a self-drive experience).
- Smart Phone (to access destination information).
- A Healthy Appetite! (as there is lots of yummy food & drink to enjoy).
- Clothing (appropriate for the weather).
- Hand Sanitiser (to help keep you safe).
- Compliance with current COVID-19 restrictions and the requirements of each pick up location. Please check coronavirus.vic.gov.au to ensure that you are complying with current restrictions.
- Picnic Basket (wicker or canvas, whatever you have).
- Cool Bag/Pack (to keep things food safe, especially if the forecast is hot).
- Picnic Rug or Chairs (depending on how you like to indulge/relax).
- Collapsible Picnic Table (if you like to keep things off the ground).
- Crockery & Cutlery (to eat off & with).
- Cheeseboard/Platter for your goodies (better for presentation).
- Family/Friends (to share your adventure with – it’s more fun with others.)
- Time (to fully immerse yourself in our beautiful region). We recommend at least 3-4 hours (including enjoying your picnic) for a standard picnic and 4-5 hours for a picnic with tasting.
- Fun, friendship, adventure and good food. (Wine, beer, cider or spirits are an optional extra and can be included in a ‘Picnic with tasting’).
- The Mornington Peninsula is our home and we are passionate about quality, local experiences and exceptional customer service.
- We have relationships with many of the best cafes and artisan producers on the Mornington Peninsula and have curated our MPG Mystery Picnics to give you an authentic taste of our region.
- You will need to make your way to the first destination (sent to you via email the day before your scheduled adventure) between 10-11am (depending on the route chosen) and reach your final pick up destination no later than 4pm.
- Our picnics are essentially a progressive picnic/treasure hunt and are carefully curated with adventure and exploration in mind, travelling around the “Ninch” solving clues to collect your picnic spread and unravel your scenic picnic destination.
- Please know that our suggested picnic destination is only a suggestion and you can obviously choose another location to enjoy your picnic should you so desire.
- A surprise is part of the fun but you can expect a typical picnic spread with gourmet foods from local cafes & artisan producers including cheeses, bread or crackers, cold meats, fruit etc (depending on your dietary requirements).
- A hot (or cold) drink at your first destination.
- A wine, beer, cider or spirit tasting (depending on your chosen route) can be included in a ‘Picnic with tasting’ and is dependent on availability. i.e. due to COVID-19 venue capacity restrictions, all tastings must be pre-booked for a specific time slot. Please note that if you are late for your allocated ‘Tasting’ time you may have to wait or risk losing your booking space (depending on venue capacity on the day) and accept a takeaway alternative (of equivalent value).
- Please note that photos on the website are general in nature and do not represent exact foods, drinks or locations.
- We strive to cater for all tastes and can accommodate some of the more common dietary preferences.
- We currently offer vegetarian and gluten friendly options which should be suitable for people with dietary preferences and/or intolerances and hope to offer vegan options moving forward.
- Please note that any dietary requests will apply to the whole group.
- Whilst we offer vegetarian and gluten friendly options, we cannot guarantee that these foods will be suitable for those with allergies because they are supplied by 3rd party picnic supply partners.
- If you have any queries or concerns, please contact us prior to booking so that we can discuss whether our picnic suppliers are able to cater to your needs and at the time of pick up please confirm that the items you are collecting are suitable for your needs.
- All food and drinks for your MPG Mystery Picnic are covered in the cost of your MPG Mystery Picnic Gift Voucher.
- It is up to you if you choose to purchase additional goodies from our supply partners to enjoy with your MPG Mystery Picnic or to take home afterwards. Our Picnic Supply Partners have many beautiful gourmet products and we encourage you to check out the range whilst you are there. They would no doubt love you to purchase extra items but you are under no obligation to do so.
- A bottle of wine is not included as part of the picnic package but can be purchased from the cellar door if you are doing a wine tasting.
- MPG Picnics can include or exclude alcohol, it’s your choice.
- Wine, Beer, Cider or Spirit tastings can be arranged for a set time as part of a Picnic with tasting for some routes, on certain days of the week, subject to availability.
- Just tick the appropriate box at the checkout and make sure that both the purchaser and the voucher recipient are over 18 years of age.
Under the Liquor Control Act 1998 it is an offence;
- To supply alcohol to a person under the age of 18 years (Penalty exceeds $17,000)
- For a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (Penalty exceeds $700).
- Bottles of wine are not included as part of the picnic package but can be purchased from the cellar door if undertaking a Picnic with tasting.
- Please note that consumption of alcohol is at your own risk and if you plan to partake in a Picnic with alcohol tasting we ask that you drink responsibly and in moderation. We urge you not to drink and drive and recommend that you nominate a designated driver. We take no responsibility for accident or injury.
- If you have non drinkers or a designated driver, the non drinking member (s) of the group can request a non-alcoholic drink at the tasting venue and/or a takeaway option of equivalent value.
- You will receive an email the day before your experience with the starting point and suggested starting time for your adventure.
- You will also receive an information pack with instructions, clues (inclusive of links to destination information) so you have everything you require to collect your picnic spread and unravel your scenic picnic destination.
- We have designed your picnic to take around 3-4 hours (4-5 hours for Picnics with tasting), including enjoying your picnic.
- You can take as long as you like to explore our beautiful region so long as you have reached your final picnic pick up stop no later than 4pm.
- Please be aware however, that if you plan to take side trips your experience may take longer than the estimated times.
- If you have booked a Picnic with tasting, you need to ensure that you arrive at your ‘tasting’ spot at the specified time or potentially risk having to wait to be served (so that the provider can meet their COVIDSafe requirements with regard to patron capacity at any given time), or miss out on your booking space and have to accept a takeaway alternative (of equivalent value).
- Please be aware that over the summer months the resident population on the Mornington Peninsula increases significantly and as such, picnic participants need to be prepared for potential wait times at some pick up stops (relative to other times of the year). Please be patient and courteous as everyone navigates this challenging post lockdown period.
- MPG provides online Mystery Picnic eGift Vouchers and as such has no direct contact with its Mystery Picnic customers.
- MPG Mystery Picnics operate in line with all relevant DHHS requirements and COVID-19 restrictions in accordance with the Victorian Roadmap to deliver the National Plan.
- Participation in MPG Mystery Picnics will be subject to change in accordance with the Victorian Government Chief Health Officer’s advice.
- Please check coronavirus.vic.gov.au for current restrictions and if in any doubt please contact us before booking.
- On the day of your MPG Mystery Picnic all MPG Mystery Picnic participants must comply with relevant DHHS requirements i.e. Victorians must check-in everywhere, every time, no matter how long they are at the premises by using the Victorian QR Code check-in service at each pick up location.
- Picnic participants must also comply with any specific picnic supplier COVIDSafe Plan requirements, including but not limited to providing proof of COVID-19 vaccination. i.e. Current requirements stipulate that anyone undertaking a ‘tasting’ at a venue will be required to be double vaccinated and provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.
- Masks should be worn according to applicable regulations at the time and hand sanitiser should be used regularly.
- Anyone displaying COVID-19 symptoms should not proceed with their picnic but instead reschedule to a time when they are free of symptoms.
- Because we pre-plan and pre-book your MPG Mystery Picnic experience with our picnic supply partners we request that you make your booking at least 5-7 days in advance to allow sufficient time for our supply partners to order in the appropriate food/drink and ensure that COVID safe density quotients (numbers) are adhered to at all times. If however you have the opportunity to visit the Peninsula at short notice, feel free to contact us to check whether a last minute booking may be possible.
- All bookings are subject to availability and capacity limits at picnic supply partner venues. During the busy summer period we recommend booking as far in advance as possible to avoid missing out.
- We do not refund for change of mind but we will gladly reschedule your picnic if for some reason you are unable to stick to your chosen date.
- Please note however, that we require a minimum of 3 business days’ notice for rescheduling of your picnic.
- Requests for the rescheduling of your picnic under 3 days may incur a booking fee to cover expenses already outlaid. The exception for this would be a last minute COVID-19 government imposed lockdown.
- Whilst it is our hope that the weather on your MPG Mystery Picnic day is perfect, this obviously cannot be guaranteed.
- As we all know, Melbourne’s weather is very variable.
- We encourage you to keep an eye on the forecast prior to booking and plan accordingly.
- MPG Mystery Picnics are intended to be all weather events.
- In the event of extreme weather you may like collect your picnic items and either have a picnic in your car or take them away with you to enjoy in the comfort of your own accomodation/home.
- No local knowledge is required, however we hope that you will be inquisitive, possibly engage with the community and chat to some locals in the hope that you discover something new about the Mornington Peninsula as a result of your experience.
- Simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Voucher Number and preferred date.
- We will then confirm your booking within 24 hours.
- When redeeming your voucher please specify that you would like to upgrade to a Picnic with tasting.
- We will confirm the date that you have requested is available and send you a link to pay the difference.
- Absolutely! Our MPG Mystery Picnics make a lovely family day out but please be aware that their is no discount for children and no alternative children’s menu at this point in time.